If you’re someone who spends their spare time on projects involving woodworking, metalworking, and car and electronics repairs, you know the value of a comfortable, dedicated workshop. Carving out such a workspace in the home isn’t always easy, however. Space limitations and concerns over privacy and how much noise and mess you’ll make can stifle your inspiration to tinker, fix, and create.
There are ways to design a versatile garage workspace that lets you enjoy quality time with your creative hobbies. These garage workshop ideas will get your space organized, looking great, and help to increase your home’s value.
Create more available space by using garage wall storage
If you want to create a dedicated work area in the garage, you’ll need to have enough space to work with. Single car garages don’t provide much free space if you want to park your vehicle inside. Double car garages obviously allow for more room, but free space will also be an issue when you want to park two of your vehicles in the garage.
When it comes to creating more available space in your garage, a slatwall storage system is one of your best solutions. Using slatwall panels and accessories that utilize your garage’s wall space, you’ll be able to clear the clutter off your garage floor and hang up your belongings. This creates more room for your work area, parking your vehicles, and just generally functioning much easier in the garage.
How slatwall accessories can make your workspace more functional
Once you know the desired location for your garage workshop, you can incorporate the slatwall panels and accessories around it. The following slatwall accessories are well-suited for keeping any work area organized:
- hooks for hanging hand power tools and extension cords
- magnetic tool bars that keep small hand tools easily accessible
- screwdriver holders
- small tool racks
- paper towel racks
- various sizes of baskets, shelving, and small tilt-out storage bins for nuts, bolts, screws, and other small pieces of hardware
One of the smartest garage workshop ideas: a foldaway workbench
The flexibility and functionality of a foldaway workbench makes it one of the smartest garage workshop ideas you can choose. They’re ideal for smaller garages or when you want just a little more space in your larger garage. This wall-mounted workbench easily folds away when its not needed and is instantly accessible when you do need it. These additional features make the foldaway workbench an essential for any garage workshop:
- heavy-duty construction can withstand up to 400 lbs of weight
- 1.5″ thick solid butcher block work surface that’s durable enough to handle the demands placed on it by your work and hobby projects
- an ample work surface that’s five feet wide and two feet deep
- secure double latch safety mechanism prevents the workbench from being lowered unintentionally
A durable floor coating can handle your workshop’s messes
Good garage workshop ideas are supposed to make your life easier and an epoxy floor coating does just that. Garage Living only uses Floortex™ floor coatings. The best floor coating on the market will transform your garage space with its smooth surface and superior appearance.
A Floortex™ floor coating is extremely durable and resists common household chemicals. Its topcoat also maintains its glossy finish for years. Sawdust and other messes and spills that result from your workshop efforts are a breeze to clean up. And the decorative flakes used during the coating’s application process minimize the appearance of dirt and dust on your garage floor. You’ll also stay safe with the excellent traction that the floor coating provides.
Protect your tool investment with garage cabinetry
Longtime hobbyists tend to accumulate large tool collections with some expensive pieces. Regardless of whether this is the case for you or your tool collection is still growing, your slatwall storage space can be complemented with modular or custom-fit garage cabinetry. These storage systems add a sleek, modern look to your space and can be coordinated to fit your garage’s decor.
We carry five lines of garage cabinetry, all of which are constructed with high quality materials to ensure they last for many years. Along with keeping your tools organized, garage cabinetry can also keep your valued tools protected with an optional locking feature available on some models.
Make working easier by improving your garage’s lighting
Garage workshop projects require you to see exactly what you’re doing. Precise attention to detail is needed when you’re making measurements, general repairs, saw cuts, and drilling holes. Working safely while you do these things is critical as well, which means you’re going to need something most garages lack – good lighting.
Our LED lighting fixture improves your garage’s lighting conditions and does it with excellent energy efficiency, using 30% less energy than similar fluorescent lighting. The fixture has an unbreakable lens and housing, ensuring a long life, and its bulbs are rated for 94,000 hours. You’ll also want to supplement your overhead lighting with good task lighting around your foldaway workbench.
Some additional garage workshop ideas to consider
The above garage workshop ideas are the most essential components for creating a more functional space for your work projects. If you’re looking to truly maximize its workspace potential, consider some of these additional garage workshop ideas:
- car lifts will increase how much parking space your garage provides, but can also function as a great way to work on the undersides of vehicles for the DIY mechanic
- overhead storage racks can be used for bulkier items and storing the leftover or unused lumber from your building projects
- improving the insulation features of your garage will reduce noise levels and help during the hotter and colder times of year (we also install garage heating systems)
- if you prefer natural light in your work area, many of our garage doors come with window options that let in outside light, as well as insulation options
- depending on how much dust and mess will get produced while you’re working, consider improving your garage’s ventilation system
- be mindful of how much electricity your power tools will require and look at upgrading your garage’s electrical system (especially for older garages) and adding extra outlets
These efficient, space-saving garage workshop ideas will create a comfortable workspace that makes it easier to enjoy your cherished hobby. Having an organized, clutter-free work area will also help fuel your creativity. Schedule your free consultation with us to begin the exciting process of creating your dream garage workshop!