The Garage Living Care Guide was created as a handy reference for Garage Living clients who have had their garage transformed with one of our makeovers.
Proper care and maintenance will ensure anyone who has had a garage makeover done will enjoy years of benefits from their upgrades. This guide will assist you with tips for taking care of your Garage Living Floortex® floor coating, cabinetry, and slatwall organizers.
Read this guide thoroughly and refer to the Levels Of Cleaning section towards the end of this blog post to gauge which cleaning products and methods will provide you with the best results.
Immediate Floortex™ floor coating care
After your Floortex® floor coating has been applied, this 3-step timeline will guide you through how to proceed in the following days:
1. 12-24 hours after coating*: Garage doors must remain open a minimum of three inches for the next 12-24 hours, ensuring the bottom of the garage door does not touch the wet/curing floor coating. Please do not walk on the garage floor for at least 12-24 hours after the coating has been applied.
2. 24-48 hours after coating*: Light objects such as garbage bins and recycling bins can be returned to the garage after 24-48 hours.
3. 4-7 days after coating*: For optimal curing time, allow 4-7 days for cars, SUVs, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, and heavier items such as toolboxes to return into the garage.
*Cure times will vary based on climate and weather conditions at the time of application. To confirm these times, please speak to your local design consultant or install technician.
Ongoing Floortex™ floor coating maintenance
Garage Living’s environmentally friendly Floortex® floor coating is incredibly easy to keep clean, regardless of where you live or the weather conditions you drive in each day.
From slush to mud, you can keep your beautiful floor looking like new year after year following these three simple steps:
1. Sweep to remove dirt and sand. Car tires and footwear typically track in debris, but you can easily remove the dirt and sand simply by sweeping or using a leaf blower. Over time, however, the dirt may accumulate and cause floor stains. When this occurs, move on to the next step.
2. Wash + rinse your floor using water or a gentle yet effective neutral cleaner, which is safe for a Floortex® floor coating and leaves a beautiful shine. A mild neutral cleaner won’t harm plants or grass and is both biodegradable and phosphate-free. After applying this effective cleaner, rinse with a garden hose and scrub with a Garage Living squeegee brush.
3. Squeegee to remove residue and dry the flooring surface. Just like with windows, squeegees are a great tool to dry and remove residue from garage floors.
Cabinetry and slatwall care
Cabinetry care: Garage Living cabinetry can be dusted and cleaned with a clean, dry soft cloth or a light duster. Use water on powder-coated cabinetry or a neutral cleaner for grease, grime, and dirt build-up. For stainless steel doors, use a stainless steel cleaner to remove fingerprints and dirt. Wipe in the direction of the natural metal grain using a clean, soft cloth and buff with a soft, clean cloth for a streak-free shine.
Countertop care: Refer to the Levels Of Cleaning section below to select the right product for the best results. For your butcher block countertop, do not soak the countertop with water or it may crack and warp over time. For your stainless steel countertop, clean, polish, and protect it with a stainless steel cleaner.
Slatwall care: Brush the slatwall crevices with a clean white cloth or light duster brush. Window cleaner can be used on your slatwall. For a wet spill, use a dry cloth. For a dry spill, use a damp cloth. Follow with a paper towel, which allows you to dry and buff the surface of the slatwall.
Levels Of Cleaning
Dust: Remove surface dust by wiping or brushing. Use a clean white cleaning rag or a duster with fibers that can trap and remove dust in any crevices. Ideal for Garage Living cabinetry, slatwall organizers, and countertops.
Squeegee: To clean the garage floor surface, use a broom, leaf blower, or a Garage Living squeegee. There are two Garage Living squeegees available, which both have a 60-inch long wooden handle. Ask about our 30-inch wide squeegee or the 22-inch wide squeegee with a brush edge.
Water: For dried spills, use water to dampen a white cleaning cloth to re-emulsify and remove spills. Ideal for Garage Living cabinetry, slatwall organizers, and countertops.
Mild soapy water: Fill a bucket with warm water and a few drops of mild dish detergent. Wet a clean white cloth, wring out the excess water, and wipe the surface. Dry immediately with a paper towel and buff the surface. Ideal for Garage Living cabinetry, slatwall organizers, and countertops.
Neutral cleaner: Neutral cleaners combine powerful cleaning performance with naturally derived biodegradable plant-based ingredients, no harsh chemical fumes, or residue. Read the manufacturer’s labels thoroughly. Test on small inconspicuous areas first. Repeat if necessary for desired results. Perfect for light stains such as grease, oil, grime, dirt, soil, and grass. Ideal for Garage Living cabinetry, slatwall organizers, countertops, and Floortex™ floor coating.
Stainless steel cleaner: Cleaners such as Weiman® Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish cleans, polishes, and protects stainless steel surfaces like Garage Living cabinetry and stainless steel sinks. Wipe in the direction of the natural metal grain using a clean, soft cloth to remove watermarks and fingerprints. Buff with a soft, clean cloth to shine. Read the manufacturer’s labels thoroughly. Test on small inconspicuous areas first. Repeat if necessary for desired results.
Grease Magnet by CLR: A fast-acting powerful cleaner formulated to quickly clean stubborn stains such as tire marks, grease, stubborn oil, and tar. Read the manufacturer’s labels thoroughly. Test on small inconspicuous areas first. Repeat if necessary for desired results. Caution: Do not use the regular CLR product, which may damage surfaces. Ideal for Floortex™ floor coating.
Other: Call your Garage Living representative if any area you’re trying to clean is presenting a challenge.
Download Care Guide
Download a copy of the Garage Living Care Guide in PDF format (5.3 MB).