Over the next few months, auto buffs will find many 2017 BC classic car shows taking place throughout the province. Classic car shows make for a fun weekend for the whole family, as you get the chance to indulge in your passion for vintage vehicles, while also supporting the charitable causes many classic car shows support.
Must-see 2017 BC classic car shows
Here are nine 2017 BC classic car shows that will be worth attending for auto enthusiasts this summer:
2. Old Car Sunday In The Park(Mission, June 18th): Celebrate Father’s Day this year at this classic car and truck event at Fraser River Heritage Parks.
3. The Sun Valley Cruise-In(Vernon, July 15th and 16th): Enjoy a cruise in the scenic Okanagan region before taking in the many classic vehicles that will be on display at this two day event.
4. Fraser Valley Classic Car Show(Chilliwack, July 16th): Vintage vehicle buffs will want to make this one of the 2017 BC classic car shows they don’t miss this summer!
5. Bowen Island Classic Motor Show(Bowen Island, July 22nd): One hour from downtown Vancouver is scenic Bowen Island, which is home to this event featuring a showcase of classic cars, trucks, motorcycles, and “anything else unique and different”.
6. Kars Under The K(Keremeos, August 6th): Hundreds of antique and vintage vehicles are promised for the 16th edition of this family-friendly event, which takes place in the southern BC village of Keremeos.
8. Grand Forks Park In The Park(Grand Forks, August 20th): The fifth year of Park In The Park will showcase the best of British Columbia’s classic cars, motorcycles, and trucks on display for your viewing pleasure.
9. Vancouver Island Motor Gathering(Cowichan, August 27th): This big event should be among the 2017 BC classic car shows you’re making plans to attend this summer. The Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit will have a wide array of unique classic and modern cars and motorcycles on display.
Instead of off-site classic car storage, use a car lift
After all of these 2017 BC classic car shows have come and gone, you might be looking for an alternative solution to costly off-site storage for your own classic car or truck. A practical year-round storage method for any of your vehicles is a 4 post car lift.
And if you’re the hands-on type with your prized classic car or truck’s maintenance, a car lift can also make it easier to perform maintenance underneath the vehicle.
Fully optimize the interior look of your garage by complementing your classic car’s colours with our high quality garage storage cabinets. Schedule your free in-home consultation if you’d like to improve the functionality and appearance of your garage space.
Numerous 2017 Alberta classic car shows will be taking throughout the province over the next few months. Along with providing an opportunity to appreciate a wide variety of classic cars and trucks up close, most classic car shows also raise funds for charities and the local community.
Must-see 2017 Alberta classic car shows
Here are nine 2017 Alberta classic car shows auto enthusiasts shouldn’t miss this summer:
1. Autorama Show & Shine(St. Albert, May 28th): This year marks the 25th anniversary for the Autorama Show & Shine, which promises a wide variety of classic cars and trucks on display from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
2. History Road: The Ultimate Car Show(Wetaskiwin, June 10th and 11th): The Reynolds-Alberta Museum hosts what’s promised as “a spectacular display of more than 700 cars, trucks, and motorcycles spanning more than a century of automotive history.”
3. The Alberta All British Field Meet(Edmonton, June 10th): For car lovers partial to a more European flavour, this event will include showings of exclusively British cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
4. Fort City Car Show(Fort McMurray, June 18th): This Father’s Day event features fun for the entire family and plenty of unique vehicles on display.
5. Edmonton Street Rod Show & Shine(Edmonton, June 24th): This long-running show returns for its 33rd year showcasing special interest cars, bikes, and trucks, along with live music and much more. This is one of the 2017 Alberta classic car shows that should be circled on your calendar!
6. Street Machine Weekend(Lethbridge, July 7th-9th): This busy event returns for its 39th year of vintage car showcases, races, and entertainment throughout the weekend for the entire family.
7. Rock’N August(St. Albert, August 8th-12th): There will be no shortage of things to do for car lovers during this five day event, which is highlighted by Saturday’s Show And Shine of classic autos.
8. Airdrie Summer Classic(Airdrie, August 12th): Hosted in Airdrie’s Nose Creek Park, this classic car show will find proceeds being raised for several worthy charities.
9. River City Classics Show And Shine(Calgary, September 24th): While it may not technically be a summer show (fall begins on the 22nd this year), this long-running event is one of the 2017 Alberta classic car shows not to be missed. Past years have seen over 1,100 vehicles set up on display.
Store your classic car or truck on a car lift
If you’ll be attending any of the 2017 Alberta classic car shows listed here then you might just have your own classic car or truck. A great year-round storage method for your prized vehicle is a 4 post car lift. Installing a car lift in your garage gives you space to park an extra vehicle and is a cost-efficient alternative to off-site classic car storage.
Your classic car or truck can remain close at hand. And if you’re hands-on with your classic’s maintenance, a car lift also gives you the chance to more easily perform maintenance underneath the vehicle.
We also have garage storage cabinets that can be customized to match the colour of your classic vehicle, which creates a dynamic interior look for your garage. If you’re looking to improve the functionality and appearance of your garage space, Garage Living provides free in-home consultations. You can schedule yoursright here.
Summers traditionally provide auto enthusiasts plenty of opportunities to indulge in their passion and appreciation for classic cars and trucks.
This year is no different, with a full slate of 2017 Ontario classic car shows taking place over the next several months. Some of them will be held in the Greater Toronto Area. Others will require a bit more of a drive to reach, which provides a great excuse to make a weekend trip with the family.
Most of these classic car shows raise funds for charities and the local community, so you’ll be helping them out with your support while you’re getting the chance to appreciate a wide range of auto classics.
Must-see 2017 Ontario classic car shows
Here are 13 2017 Ontario classic car shows that will be worth attending for auto enthusiasts this summer:
1. RetroFest 2017(Chatham, May 26th and 27th): View the classic cars on display in downtown Chatham, which is located approximately three hours from Toronto. This event also features live music and activities for the kids.
2. Fleetwood Country Cruize-in(London, June 3rd and 4th): This year’s edition celebrates 50 years of Camaros, Cougars, and Firebirds. Many other classic cars and hot rods will be displayed, along with live music and guest appearances from the cast of TV’s The Dukes of Hazzard.
3. Gravenhurst Car Show(Gravenhurst, June 17th): Northern Ontario’s largest car show occurs on the scenic shores of Gravenhurst’s Gull Lake, a couple of hours north of Toronto. With over 600 classic, collectible, and rare vehicles expected, the 24th edition of this event is one of the 2017 Ontario car shows not to be missed!
4. Shelburne Street Festival(Shelburne, June 17th): A 90 minute drive north of the city brings you to Shelburne, which has been hosting this festival every Saturday on Father’s Day weekend for years. Events include a classic car show, motorcycle show, live music, an open air market, and family activities.
5. The Yorkville Exotic Car Show(Toronto, June 18th): Toronto’s upscale Bloor-Yorkville area hosts the 7th edition of this show. Some of the world’s greatest sports cars will be on display, ranging from classics right up to the most desirable high performance vehicles of today.
6. Burlington Downtown Car Show(Burlington, July 8th): Muscle cars, classic cars, cruisers, and exotic sports cars will compete for your attention at this show in downtown Burlington. Enjoy live music and local vendors, with proceeds supporting the Burlington Lions Club.
7. Classics And Rods Review Show(Mississauga, July 9th): The Mississauga Classic Car Club puts on their annual show, which takes place this year at the city’s Hershey Centre. The diverse range of vintage vehicles on display every year at this event makes it one the 2017 Ontario classic car shows to circle on your calendar.
8. Havelock Recreation & Performance Motor Show(Havelock, July 14-16): Havelock is located two hours northwest of Toronto and is home to the jam-packed “Havelock RPM”. Along with the many classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles on display, you can camp and enjoy live music and boxing matches.
9. Creemore Valley Classics Car Show(Creemore, July 15th): Over the past decade, this event has grown from having 78 classic cars on display to what promises to be many hundreds more vintage car, truck, and motorcycle on display this year. Creemore is located 40 minutes west of Barrie.
10. Wheels On The Danforth(Toronto, August 19th): Two car shows are featured at the eighth edition of this family-friendly event. During the day, classic cars, hot rods, and motorcycles will be on display and the nighttime will showcase local tuner cars.
11. Autofest Oshawa(Oshawa, August 26th and 27th): Now in its 24th year, Autofest Oshawa gives auto buffs the chance to view modern and vintage muscle cars and a wide array of classic cars at Oshawa’s Lakeview Park.
12. Markham Auto Classic(Markham, September 10th): Head to Markham’s Main Street for this long-running event that promises the chance to view more than 250 classic cars, street machines, trucks, and motorcycles.
13. Antique Classic & Custom Car Show(Huntsville, September 16th): Wrap up your tour of 2017 Ontario classic car shows by attending this event that features 300 classic cars and trucks, motorcycles, hot rods, tuners, and more.
A car lift is a cost-efficient storage solution for classic cars
If you’ll be attending some of these 2017 Ontario classic car shows then you might just have your own classic car or truck. A great year-round storage method for your vehicle is a 4 post car lift. Installing a car lift in your garage gives you space to park an extra vehicle and is a cost-efficient alternative to off-site classic car storage.
Your prized classic car or truck can remain close at hand. And if you’re hands-on with your classic’s maintenance, a car lift also gives you the chance to more easily perform maintenance underneath the vehicle.
We also have garage storage cabinets that can be customized to match the colour of your classic vehicle, which creates a dynamic interior look for your garage. If you’re looking to improve the functionality and appearance of your garage space, Garage Living provides free in-home consultations, which you can schedule here.
Garage Living Vice President of Franchise Development Steve Wilkins recently appeared on the weekly Home Talk USA program. Home Talk USA is a nationally syndicated home improvement-themed radio and TV show that’s hosted by professional contractor Michael King.
Steve’s interview was broadcast on February 25th and covered topics that included the great franchise opportunities available with Garage Living, the services and products we offer, and more.
Listen to an edited version of the interview below or read the transcript.
What Garage Living does
My next guest is Steve Wilkins. He’s with a company called Garage Living and we’re going to discuss complete garage solutions and learn a little about their company. Tell us a little about Garage Living.
Garage Living started about 12 years ago and we concentrate on the underutilized prime space in your home, which is your garage. It’s square footage that isn’t being used to the utmost, so we convert your garage space. We have custom flooring, cabinetry, organizers, and our design consultants take a look at what the client’s needs are and they do a design for that garage space.
We’re experts in designing multi-purpose garage spaces
What if I’m a sports enthusiast – what can you do for me?
If you’re into golf, as an example, we have golf caddies that hang on the slatwall that we would put into the garage. For somebody that’s into biking, we have racks that hang bikes horizontally or perpendicularly. We have solutions for tennis, canoeing, and everything depends on what the client is wanting their garage space for.
Some might want to put three cars in a double garage and in that case we would recommend them putting a residential car lift in. So we really look at the space and what the client needs.
Garage Living’s success in franchising
Tell us what’s new at Garage Living. I know two or three years ago you guys expanded a little bit, so tell us how you’re making out with that.
It’s going very well. Originally, we wanted to set up branch offices, but it was very difficult having people move from Canada down to the States and getting Green Cards, so we decided on a franchise model.
What markets do you see Garage Living entering in the future?
A: For 2017, we’re going to be opening in Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, hopefully New York City, Oklahoma City, Houston, Indianapolis, and Sioux Falls.
How we transform any garage space
I know you have challenges in the garage industry – what is Garage Living’s secret to organizing garage stuff?
When we meet with a client and do a design for them, we start with the floor. What we do is diamond grind the surface, we fill in any cracks if it needs any repairs, and then we apply a pigmented base coat down. Next, we put a decorative flake on top of that and there’s a lot of colour selections for the client.
Then what we do is put a really durable Floortex™ top coat on that gives it a shine and really protects it. We also, in most cases, do the baseboards along the garage wall up as far as it will go so when you wash the floor it doesn’t get into your drywall and create mould, etcetera.
Then we look at cabinetry with our custom cabinet lines. Our five cabinet lines are all North American-made. Then we take a look at the walls and see what you need to put on the wall. Is it garden tools, electrical cords, working tools, tire racks? Finally, we’ll take a look at the ceiling, where we can put racks that can be used for lawn furniture and other seasonal items.
Garage Living of Miami
We can design a fitness room garage the whole family can use
So you’re basically custom designing to the space and what the homeowner is using it for, making sure they can organize, and using that particular area that’s being wasted.
There’s that, Michael, and in the case of our Miami location, we had a client that wanted their double garage space converted into a home gym. On the back wall we put cabinets with a built-in TV and sink, prepared the floor, and hung slatwall so all of their gym equipment could go there.
Their kids do their homework there and they have their treadmill and elliptical trainer and they converted that garage space into a home gym. We made it a more useful area because it was really wasted space with junk that was thrown in there.
Create a multi-purpose space in your home with a fitness room garage.
What Garage Living is looking for in a franchise owner
What qualities are you looking for in a franchise owner?
What we’re looking for is someone who wants to run his or her own business. That’s critical. They need to be a motivated entrepreneur, but they need support and access to the best products and technology. They want to do their business, but they want someone to show them the way. That’s an important part of franchising.
Where to discuss Garage Living franchising with us and the higher success rates of franchises
Where can enthusiastic candidates meet Garage Living?
We’re at a variety of home and auto shows in the coming weeks in Washington, D.C., Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Detroit (the Novi Home & Garden Show, March 31-April 2), and in April at the Barret-Jackson auto auction in West Palm Beach (April 6-8). (note that the Washington, D.C., Jacksonville, and Daytona Beach events have passed since this interview was recorded)
One other thing I want to touch on is that when someone wants to consider starting a franchise, I think a really important fact is that according to Entrepreneur magazine, success rates for franchises are greater than 90%, making this the best success rate of any type of new business.
Also, research found that 20% of individual startups were still in business after seven years, but when they bought a franchise, the success rate was 91%, so what would you rather do? I think I’d rather go into a franchise system where the structure is set up for success for the individuals that are buying into the franchise.
Very good point. You have a better chance of succeeding because your successful module has already been laid out. All of the mistakes have already been made…you’re going to make some future mistakes, but you understand what I’m saying. All the growing pains and things like that have already been ironed out.
Exactly. We found that we’ve still got equipment that we purchased 12 years ago that we couldn’t utilize, so we’re going to ensure that the franchisee doesn’t make those errors.
“Garage Living is focused 100% on a top-to-bottom garage renovation for residential home owners by creating the vision and delivering the dream garage.” – David Hinderland, Garage Living of Dallas/Fort Worth owner
Getting a Garage Living franchise started
So if someone wanted to get started, what kind of investment are we talking about?
To get started, we have to realize this is a showroom-based business and not a home-based business. You need to set up a showroom to show the clients your flooring, cabinets, slatwall, organizers, racking, etcetera. It’s approximately $215,000 as your initial investment to get started.
In the U.S., the Small Business Administration (SBA) is very good with starting a business. We’re an approved franchisor with them, so there’s a couple of programs you can tap into for working capital loans that are backed by the federal government.
We also have a leasing program we’re utilizing as well, so if you want to lease your grinder and some of your showroom cabinets, you’re able to do that. Of your $215,000, it really lowers the amount that you have to get out of your pocket. You need to leverage other banks and SBA to get this going.
All of Garage Living’s products are North American-made and high quality
Tell me a little about the quality of your products.
We’re proud to say that all of the products Garage Living uses are North American-made. We have five cabinet lines made in either Canada or the United States that come with a lifetime guarantee. Our slatwall comes in five particular colours and is North American-made as well. Our floor coating is made in the United States, so if someone wants quality North American products then those are the only ones we do sell.
How about New Orleans as a potential future Garage Living market?
Now, you know this a national show, but I’m down in “The Big Easy” and I noticed when you were talking about your expansion in certain areas that “The Big Easy” was not among your destinations. What about New Orleans?
It’s a great market and I actually had someone that had called me about it. I ran the demographics and there’s 2.4 million people in that territory and 925,000 households, so it’s time.
Learn more about Garage Living franchise opportunities
We’ve got to run, my friend, but give us that website and how we can learn more about you guys.
We’ll definitely get you back in the future and if we can give a business opportunity to somebody who might be looking for something, I think this is a great idea. And hey, you’re not even paying me nothing to say that, so it’s really a good thing.
I appreciate your time, Michael. (end of interview)
Garage storage and organization is currently the fastest-growing category in home improvement. Learn more about joining Garage Living’s successful franchise network by filling out this form.
Garage Living Calgary recently donated a SportScreen garage door protector to the Okotoks Minor Hockey Association for one of their Novice age group tournaments. Okotoks is a town located about 18 km south of Calgary.
What is the SportScreen garage door protector?
The SportScreen is a sports training tool that is essentially a tarp made of high-tenacity open mesh polyester fabric that can be mounted above a garage door. This made-in-Canada product also has a convenient remote control roll-up feature.
Kids (or anyone older who’s still clinging to that dream of an NHL career) can practice their hockey shooting skills using real pucks or balls and the SportScreen will protect their garage door from dents. It also cuts down on the racket that’s created from this activity. Lacrosse, baseball, and soccer shooting will additionally work with the product, which was featured on TV’s Dragon Den program.
SportScreen works outside or inside a garage
SportScreens can also be set up inside a garage, which is handy for shooting practice when the weather is particularly unpleasant. One of Garage Living Calgary’s recent garage makeovers included the addition of the SportScreen.
Complement the SportScreen with a slatwall sports equipment and accessory wall
The garage makeover also included the addition of slatwall panels with slatwall accessories. This creates a sports equipment and accessory storage wall that keeps your belongings and garage interior organized.
Add Floortex™ floor coating to complete your garage project
Rounding out the garage makeover is an application of Floortex™ floor coating. There are 15 floor coating colours available and the client chose Obsidian for this project. A Floortex™ floor coating is perfect for a garage where the SportScreen is being used – it’s extremely durable and provides a nice, smooth surface.
A shooting pad that simulates an ice surface can also be purchased separately from SportScreen, which will additionally protect the garage floor from scuffing.
A Floortex™ floor coating, slatwall storage with accessories, and the SportScreen create the perfect mini sports training facility, right in your own garage!
Our Calgary location is the only Garage Living franchise currently utilizing the SportScreen in their garage makeovers. Contact them for more details.